Why repair the windshield?
When a stone or other object hits a windshield and breaks it, a fissure is created that fills immediately with air. Sometimes this breakage can be accompanied by crushed glass, which together with the air causes distortion and becomes visible to the human eye. Unless repaired quickly, the small impact can be opened and extended to the point where replacement will be the only option.
On many occasions the customers seeking this service for the first time are hesitant to replace or repair their damaged windshield. This is normal and is mainly due to the lack of information of what a repair is really able to offer.
The repair procedure is artisanal and consists of replacing all the damaged areas of the glass with a sophisticated resin. This resin restores the optical clarity and strength of the windshield with a weld as consistent as that of the original windshield.
In general, we can say that the main objective that seeks a repair is to avoid changing the windshield, preserving the factory seal and avoiding the risk of a bad installation. However, a timely repair also offers the following benefits:
- Returns the original structural strength and integrity to the windshield.
- Stops the advance of damage permanently.
- It improves the optical clarity in the area of the impact between 85% and 90%, eliminating the annoying reflection caused by the sun and the night lights.
- In most cases, it is cheaper than a replacement, even when insurance policies with ample coverage are available.
- The originality of the seal and the factory’s tightness of the automobile is conserved, preventing leaks of water, air and earth, as well as the risk of detachment of the windshield in an accident due to a bad installation.
- Typical repair times of less than 1 hour and can be done in the comfort of your home, office, workshop, etc. without requiring subsequent care.
- A replacement takes an average of 3 hours and involves certain setbacks.
- It avoids the filtration of humidity to the plastic film (PVB) internal preventing the delamination of the two sheets of glass.
- It keeps costs low in insurance policies with broad coverage.
- Restores the surface of the glass improving the performance of the windscreen wipers.
- It supports the ecology since a windshield is not a recyclable product (plastic film of PVB) avoiding its confinement and contamination.
What is the repair?
Contrary to what many people think, the objective of a repair is not to make the area of impact invisible, but to offer security by returning the structural resistance that it had before being damaged without the need to dismantle it so as not to affect the seal and maintain the original tightness of the vehicle.
The aesthetic improvement of the impact is only one of the many benefits obtained as a consequence of the repair, however, it is important to mention that in all cases after a repair will remain a small mark or scar? At the point of impact, which is normal and resulting from an optical effect which varies according to the location, shape and type of break.
Be wary of who promises you a perfect repair or disappear the damage 100%, since today even using the latest technology of Glass Technology it is not possible to make invisible repairs. However, in general terms, it is possible to achieve an aesthetic improvement (optical clarity) of between 85% and 95%, being unlikely that someone will detect the repaired area if the place of impact is unknown. It is normal for the repaired impact to be a little more noticeable when looking from inside the vehicle.
For a repair to be considered complete and successful you need to have gone through these 6 steps:
- External cleaning of the point of impact.
- Removal of air trapped in the impact through our exclusive injection / vacuum pump.
- Injection (in sustained vacuum) of a bonding agent in liquid state called resin which flows to all branches of the break.
- Exposure of the impact zone to a source of ultraviolet (UV) light, hardening
- Elimination of leftover resin residues on the point of impact eliminating any superficial imperfection.