When a stone or other object hits a windshield and breaks it, a fissure is created that fills immediately with air. Sometimes this breakage can be accompanied by crushed glass, which together with the air causes distortion and becomes visible to the human eye. Unless repaired quickly, the small impact can be opened and extended to the point where replacement will be the only option.
On many occasions, those who seek this service for the first time are undecided between replacing or repairing their damaged windshield. This is normal and is mainly due to the lack of information about what a repair is really capable of offering. Many times those who offer the service create very high expectations in order to get the job. However, by not fulfilling these promises the result is a dissatisfied customer.
Before starting any repair, we explain what the possible final result is, because honesty is the best sign of respect for our customers.
Windshield repair offers the following advantages:
Maintains the originality of the vehicle avoiding water leaks and the manipulation of it.
It guarantees a significant saving of up to 80% of the value of the windshield, being considerable in imported vehicles and large vehicles such as trucks, buses, agricultural machinery, etc.
What is the repair?
Contrary to what many people think, the main objective of a repair is to offer security by returning to the windshield the structural strength it had before being damaged without the need to disassemble it to avoid affecting the seal and maintain the original tightness of the vehicle, also obtaining the benefit of rendering the area of impact invisible.
The aesthetic improvement of the impact is only one of the many benefits obtained as a result of the repair, however, it is important to mention that in all cases after a repair it is possible to see a very slight trace at the point of impact, which is normal and resulting from an optical effect which varies according to the location, shape and type of breakage.
Be wary of who promises you a perfect repair or disappear the damage 100%, since today even using the latest technology of Glass Technology is not possible to perform invisible repairs. However, in general terms, it is possible to achieve an aesthetic improvement (optical clarity) of between 85% and 95%, it is unlikely that someone will detect the repaired area if the place of impact is unknown. It is normal for the repaired impact to be a little more noticeable when looking from inside the vehicle.
What happens if I do not repair?
When a windshield is hit by an object, its repair must be carried out immediately, since with a climatic variation of plus-minus 10º, either by the use of air conditioning or heating, the famous cracks begin to occur. They are not attended to on time, in many cases it is irreparable, forcing the substitution.
It consists of replacing all the damaged areas of the glass with a sophisticated resin. This resin restores the optical clarity and strength of the windshield with a weld as consistent as that of the original windshield.
We can say that the main objective that seeks a repair is to avoid changing the windshield, preserving the factory seal and avoiding the risk of a bad installation. However, a timely repair also offers the following benefits:
- Returns the original structural strength and integrity to the windshield.
- Stops the advance of damage permanently.
- It improves the optical clarity in the area of the impact between 85% and 95%, eliminating the annoying reflection caused by the sun and the night lights.
- In most cases, it is cheaper than a replacement, even when insurance policies with ample coverage are available.
- The originality of the seal and the factory’s tightness of the automobile is conserved, preventing leaks of water, air and earth, as well as the risk of detachment of the windshield in an accident due to a bad installation.
- Typical repair times of less than 1 hour and can be done in the comfort of your home, office, workshop, etc. without requiring subsequent care.
- A replacement takes an average of 3 hours and involves certain setbacks.
- It avoids the filtration of humidity to the plastic film (PVB) internal preventing the delamination of the two sheets of glass.
- It keeps costs low in insurance policies with broad coverage.
- Restores the surface of the glass improving the performance of the windscreen wipers.
- It supports the ecology since a windshield is not a recyclable product (plastic film of PVB) avoiding its confinement and contamination.